7 Şubat 2012 Salı

Personal Connection - Elya Yelnats - 2: Letter to descendants


When I read that Elya boarded on the ship whose destination was the USA, I was completely surprised and also a bit disappointed. Was the reason of a hundred-year-long curse only an unlogical decision of Elya? I can't understand why he just didn't come back to Madame Zeroni. He was strong (he got strong by carrying the pig) and he had got everything, but a short moment probably with the thought of escaping from everything, changed the whole destiny! On the other side, it also seems too brutal to curse one's family forever only because of a thoughtlessness. Yes, I agree, maybe Madame Zeroni became very sad of losing her hope to go to that river, but it's still too brutal, in my opinion. I think, if Elya would have written a diary during the voyage, it could have been as it follows:

My dear descendants,
Today I didn't keep my promise about carrying a women called Madame Zeroni to a river in the mountains of my fatherland, Latvia, and as she said to me, I and you could be cursed for our entire lives. It's possible that you face very horrible things and events in your lives. If it happens, I only would like to say I fell in love with a very beautiful girl called Myra and because she turned her face to me, I got shocked and angry and decided immediately to leave the fatherland, escape to somewhere new and start a new life. I'm sorry. I hope it doesn't happen, but I feel the necessity saying to you that you always should think again, when you're giving a decision which can be a turning point in your lives. 
Yours, 
Elya
w. 284
(Photo: Unlogical character Elya Yelnats)



1 yorum: