6 Şubat 2012 Pazartesi

First Impressions about the Novel 'Holes'

As I firstly hold the book, I thought it would take a very long time to finish it. This thought was coming from the experience I've had of reading the German novel given as an assignment for the holiday, the 'Schachnovelle' (Chess Story) written by Stefan Zweig, because it took 6 minutes for each page and lasted a whole week to finish it, although it was only about a hundred pages! Since the novel 'Holes' was about 200 pages and with much smaller font size, I was afraid of not being able to finish it in a week. But, when I started to read it, I realized that the novel had a beautiful fluency to read.
The language of the novel also wasn't hard like Schachnovelle, and some words that could be unknown were explained at the end of the page, but after a while I also left looking to them and try understanding the word from the context.
And most importantly, I had the feeling that attracts you to the book and makes you unable to have a break, which provided an immersive reading of the novel.
Different from lots of usual stories, the novel started with facts. That's true, it started to describe the place where the story happened, the Camp Green Lake, completely unemotionally and than the real story began. It seems that the importance of the description will be understood later.


This was the imagination of the Camp Green Lake after I read the first four chapters. If the novel wouldn't have expressed in the first chapter that Camp Green Lake is a desert, I would have thought completely different than the picture. Naturally. 
w. 278

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder